Mar – Apr 2023
Pp The downstream consequences of depression and anxiety
- Santos Costas A, Willumsen, J Ilbawi, A, Bull F The cost on physical activity to public healthcare system: a population-attributable fraction analysis. December 2022 https://doi.org/10.1016/52214-109x(22)00464-8
- Pearce M et al Association between physical activity and risk of depression: A systemic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Psychiatry. 2022:79(6):550-559
- Huang Y et al Sedentary behaviours and risk of depression: a meta-analysis of prospective studies. Translational Psychiatry 2020 10:26
- Win S et al Depressive symptoms, physical inactivity and risk of cardiovascular mortality in older adults: the cardiovascular health study. Heart 2011: 97:500-505
- Elfrey, K Ziegelstein R The “inactivity trap”. Gen Hospital Psychiatry 2009: 31(4): 303-305
- Dunstan D, Dogra S, Carter S, Owen, N Sit less and move more for cardiovascular health: emerging insights and opportunities. Nature reviews 2021 Vol 18; Sept 2021
Pp 8-10 Anti-inflammatory diet
- Yiu to Yeung. Signalling pathways in inflammation and anti-inflammatory therapies. Curr Pharm Des. 24(14):1449-1484
- Slavich et al. 2014. From stress to inflammation and major depressive disorder: a social signal transduction theory of depression. Psychol Bull;140(3):774-815
- Wirtz et al. 2017. Psychological stress, inflammation, and coronary heart disease. Curr Cardiol Rep. 20;19 (11):111
- Gregor et al 2011. Inflammatory mechanisms in obesity. Annu Rev Immunol. 29:415-45
- Tolkien et al 2019. An anti-inflammatory diet as a potential intervention for depressive disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Nutr. 38(5): 2045-2052
- Zheng G et al. 2019. Effect of Aerobic Exercise on Inflammatory Markers in Healthy Middle-Aged and Older Adults: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience. Front Aging Neurosci.14(2):117-122
- Mullington J et al. 2010. Sleep loss and inflammation. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 24(5):775-84
- European Environment Agency. Air pollution. Air pollution: how it affects our health — European Environment Agency (europa.eu)
- Casas R et al. 2014. The immune protective effect of the Mediterranean diet against chronic low-grade inflammatory diseases. Endocrine, metabolic and immune disorders drug targets. Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug targets. 14(4):245-54
- Soltani et al. 2020. Adherence to the dietary approaches to stop hypertension (DASH) diet in relation to all-cause and cause-specific mortality: a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Nutrition Journal. 22;19 (1):37
- Kunnumakkara et al.2018. Chronic diseases, inflammation and spices: how are they linked? J Transl Med. 25;16(1):14
- Shimizu K et al. 2019.Anti-inflammatory Action of Curcumin and Its Use in the Treatment of Lifestyle-related Diseases. European Cardiology Review. 14(2):117-122
- Tabung F et al.2016 Development and validation of an empirical dietary inflammatory index. American Society for Nutrition. J Nutr. 146(8):1560-70
- Dennis et al. 2019. Nutritional considerations of the Gluten-Free Diet. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 48(1):53-72
Pp 14-16 The power of physical literacy
- Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer from the People Who’ve Lived the Longest – Buettner, Dan. 2010.
- Tinkle B, Castori M, Berglund B, Cohen H, Grahame R, Kazkaz H, et al. Hypermobile Ehlers–Danlos syndrome (a.k.a. Ehlers–Danlos syndrome Type III and Ehlers–Danlos syndrome hypermobility type): Clinical description and natural history. American journal of medical genetics Part C, Seminars in medical genetics. 2017;175(1):48–69.
- Hypermobility Syndromes Association. Type of HMS [Internet]. London: Registered Office HMSA; [date unknown; cited 2023 Jan 8]. Available from: https://www.hypermobility.org/
- Demmler JC, Atkinson MD, Reinhold EJ, Choy E, Lyons RA, Brophy ST. Diagnosed prevalence of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and hypermobility spectrum disorder in Wales, UK: a national electronic cohort study and case–control comparison. BMJ open. 2019;9(11):e031365–e031365.
- Alsiri N, Al-Obaidi S, Asbeutah A, Almandeel M, Palmer S. The impact of hypermobility spectrum disorders on musculoskeletal tissue stiffness: an exploration using strain elastography. Clinical rheumatology. 2019;38(1):85–95.
- Castori M, Tinkle B, Levy H, Grahame R, Malfait F, Hakim A. A framework for the classification of joint hypermobility and related conditions. American journal of medical genetics Part C, Seminars in medical genetics. 2017;175(1):148–57.
- Rombaut L, Deane J, Simmonds J, De Wandele I, De Paepe A, Malfait F, et al. Knowledge, assessment, and management of adults with joint hypermobility syndrome/Ehlers-Danlos syndrome hypermobility type among flemish physiotherapists. American journal of medical genetics Part C, Seminars in medical genetics. Rombaut L, Deane J, Simmonds J, De Wandele I, De Paepe A, Malfait F, Calders P. 2015. Knowledge, assessment, and management of adults with joint hypermobility syndrome/Ehlers-Danlos syndrome hypermobility type among flemish physiotherapists. Am J Med Genet Part C. 169C:76-83. 2015;169C(1):76–83.
- Brown B, Liebenson C. Rehabilitation of the spine : a practitioner’s manual. 3rd ed. Liebenson C, editor. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins/Wolters Kluwer; 2020.
- Hakimi A, Bergoin C, Mucci P. Immediate and 6‐week after effects of a rehabilitation program for Ehlers–Danlos syndrome hypermobile type patients: A retrospective study. American journal of medical genetics Part A. 2020;182(10):2263–71.
- Rahman A, Daniel C, Grahame R. Efficacy of an out-patient pain management programme for people with joint hypermobility syndrome. Clinical rheumatology. 2014;33(11):1665–9.
- Alsiri N, Cramp M, Barnett S, Palmer S. Gait biomechanics in joint hypermobility syndrome: a spatiotemporal, kinematic and kinetic analysis. Musculoskeletal care. 2020;18(3):301–14.
- Castori M, Morlino S, Celletti C, Celli M, Morrone A, Colombi M, et al. Management of pain and fatigue in the joint hypermobility syndrome (a.k.a. Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, hypermobility type): Principles and proposal for a multidisciplinary approach. American journal of medical genetics Part A. 2012;158A(8):2055–70.
- Martinez KL, Mauss C, Andrews J, Saboda K, Huynh JM, Sanoja AJ, et al. Subtle differences in autonomic symptoms in people diagnosed with hypermobile Ehlers–Danlos syndrome and hypermobility spectrum disorders. American journal of medical genetics Part A. 2021;185(7):2012–25.
- Scheper M, Rombaut L, de Vries J, De Wandele I, van der Esch M, Visser B, et al. The association between muscle strength and activity limitations in patients with the hypermobility type of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome: the impact of proprioception. Disability and rehabilitation. 2017;39(14):1391–7.
- Aubry-Rozier B, Schwitzguebel A, Valerio F, Tanniger J, Paquier C, Berna C, et al. Are patients with hypermobile Ehlers–Danlos syndrome or hypermobility spectrum disorder so different? Rheumatology international. 2021;41(10):1785–94.
- Simmonds JV, Herbland A, Hakim A, Ninis N, Lever W, Aziz Q, et al. Exercise beliefs and behaviours of individuals with Joint Hypermobility syndrome/Ehlers-Danlos syndrome – hypermobility type. Disability and rehabilitation. 2019;41(4):445–55.
Pp 26-29 PAP: Enhancing strength and rate of force development
- Suchomel, T.J., Nimphius, S. and Stone, M.H., 2016. The importance of muscular strength in athletic performance. Sports medicine, 46(10), pp.1419-1449.
- Maffiuletti NA, Aagaard P, Blazevich AJ, Folland J, Tillin N, Duchateau J. Rate of force development: physiological and methodological considerations. European journal of applied physiology. 2016 Jun;116:1091-116.
- Rodríguez‐Rosell D, Pareja‐Blanco F, Aagaard P, González‐Badillo JJ. Physiological and methodological aspects of rate of force development assessment in human skeletal muscle. Clinical physiology and functional imaging. 2018 Sep;38(5):743-62.
- Suarez, D. G., Wagle, J. P., Cunanan, A. J., Sausaman, R. W., & Stone, M. H. (2019). Dynamic correspondence of resistance training to sport: A brief review. Strength & Conditioning Journal, 41(4), 80-88.
- Carter, J. and Greenwood, M., 2014. Complex training reexamined: Review and recommendations to improve strength and power. Strength & Conditioning Journal, 36(2), pp.11-19.
- Dodd, D.J. and Alvar, B.A., 2007. Analysis of acute explosive training modalities to improve lower-body power in baseball players. Journal of strength and conditioning research, 21(4), p.1177.
- Pagaduan J, Pojskic H. A meta-analysis on the effect of complex training on vertical jump performance. Journal of human kinetics. 2020 Jan;71:255.
- Gonzalo-Skok O, Moreno-Azze A, Arjol-Serrano JL, Tous-Fajardo J, Bishop C. A comparison of 3 different unilateral strength training strategies to enhance jumping performance and decrease interlimb asymmetries in soccer players. International journal of sports physiology and performance. 2019 Oct 1;14(9):1256-64.
- Keiner M, Kadlubowski B, Sander A, Hartmann H, Wirth K. Effects of 10 months of speed, functional, and traditional strength training on strength, linear sprint, change of direction, and jump performance in trained adolescent soccer players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 2022 Aug 1;36(8):2236-46.
- Emmonds S, Nicholson G, Begg C, Jones B, Bissas A. Importance of physical qualities for speed and change of direction ability in elite female soccer players. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2019 Jun 1;33(6):1669-77.
- Maestroni L, Read P, Bishop C, Papadopoulos K, Suchomel TJ, Comfort P, Turner A. The benefits of strength training on musculoskeletal system health: practical applications for interdisciplinary care. Sports Medicine. 2020 Aug;50(8):1431-50.
- Haugen T, Seiler S, Sandbakk Ø, Tønnessen E. The training and development of elite sprint performance: an integration of scientific and best practice literature. Sports medicine-open. 2019 Dec;5:1-6.
- Øvretveit K, Tøien T. Maximal strength training improves strength performance in grapplers. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2018 Dec 1;32(12):3326-32.
- Lemire M, Hureau TJ, Favret F, Geny B, Kouassi BY, Boukhari M, Lonsdorfer E, Remetter R, Dufour SP. Physiological factors determining downhill vs uphill running endurance performance. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2021 Jan 1;24(1):85-91.
- López-Rivera E, González-Badillo JJ. Comparison of the effects of three hangboard strength and endurance training programs on grip endurance in sport climbers. Journal of human kinetics. 2019 Mar 27;66(1):183-95.
- Peterson MD, Rhea MR, Alvar BA. Applications of the dose-response for muscular strength development: areview of meta-analytic efficacy and reliability for designing training prescription. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2005 Nov 1;19(4):950-8.
- Suchomel, T. J., Wagle, J. P., Douglas, J., Taber, C. B., Harden, M., Haff, G. G., & Stone, M. H. (2019). Implementing eccentric resistance training—Part 1: A brief review of existing methods. Journal of Functional Morphology and Kinesiology, 4(2), 38.
- Suchomel TJ, Wagle JP, Douglas J, Taber CB, Harden M, Haff GG, Stone MH. Implementing eccentric resistance training—part 2: practical recommendations. Journal of Functional Morphology and Kinesiology. 2019 Aug 9;4(3):55.
- Latella C, Teo WP, Drinkwater EJ, Kendall K, Haff GG. The acute neuromuscular responses to cluster set resistance training: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Sports Medicine. 2019 Dec;49:1861-77.
- Marshall J, Bishop C, Turner A, Haff GG. Optimal training sequences to develop lower body force, velocity, power, and jump height: A systematic review with meta-analysis. Sports Medicine. 2021 Jun;51:1245-71.
- Scott DJ, Ditroilo M, Orange ST, Marshall P. The effect of complex training on physical performance in rugby league players. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. 2023 Jan 23;1(aop):1-8.
- Suchomel TJ, Nimphius S, Bellon CR, Stone MH. The importance of muscular strength: training considerations. Sports medicine. 2018 Apr;48:765-85.
- Blazevich AJ, Babault N. Post-activation potentiation versus post-activation performance enhancement in humans: historical perspective, underlying mechanisms, and current issues. Frontiers in physiology. 2019 Nov 1;10:1359.
- Bouagina R, Padulo J, Fray A, Larion A, Abidi H, Chtara M, Chelly MS, Khalifa R. Short-term in-season ballistic training improves power, muscle volume and throwing velocity in junior handball players. A randomized control trial. Biology of sport. 2022 Mar;39(2):415-27.
- Zaras N, Methenitis S, Stasinaki AN, Spiliopoulou P, Anousaki E, Karampatsos G, Hadjicharalambous M, Terzis G. Differences in Rate of Force Development, Muscle Morphology and Maximum Strength between Weightlifters and Track and Field Throwers. Applied Sciences. 2022 Aug 11;12(16):8031.
- Soriano MA, Suchomel TJ, Comfort P. Weightlifting overhead pressing derivatives: a review of the literature. Sports Medicine. 2019 Jun 1;49:867-85.
- Suchomel TJ, McKeever SM, Comfort P. Training with weightlifting derivatives: The effects of force and velocity overload stimuli. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2020 Jul 1;34(7):1808-18.
- Suchomel TJ, McKeever SM, Nolen JD, Comfort P. Muscle architectural and force-velocity curve adaptations following 10 weeks of training with weightlifting catching and pulling derivatives. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine. 2022 Dec 1;21(4):504-16.
- Robbins DW. Postactivation potentiation and its practical applicability. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2005 May 1;19(2):453-8.
- Seitz, L.B. and Haff, G.G., 2016. Factors modulating post-activation potentiation of jump, sprint, throw, and upper-body ballistic performances: A systematic review with meta-analysis. Sports Medicine, 46(2), pp.231-240.
- Prieske O, Behrens M, Chaabene H, Granacher U, Maffiuletti NA. Time to differentiate postactivation “potentiation” from “performance enhancement” in the strength and conditioning community. Sports medicine. 2020 Sep;50(9):1559-65.
- Boullosa D, Beato M, Iacono AD, Cuenca-Fernández F, Doma K, Schumann M, Zagatto AM, Loturco I, Behm DG. A new taxonomy for postactivation potentiation in sport. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. 2020 Aug 19;15(8):1197-200.
- Zimmermann HB, MacIntosh BR, Dal Pupo J. Does postactivation potentiation (PAP) increase voluntary performance?. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism. 2020;45(4):349-56.
- Cuenca-Fernández F, Smith IC, Jordan MJ, MacIntosh BR, López-Contreras G, Arellano R, Herzog W. Nonlocalized postactivation performance enhancement (PAPE) effects in trained athletes: a pilot study. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism. 2017;42(10):1122-5.
- Blazevich AJ, Babault N. Post-activation potentiation versus post-activation performance enhancement in humans: historical perspective, underlying mechanisms, and current issues. Frontiers in physiology. 2019 Nov 1;10:1359
- Cormier P, Freitas TT, Loturco I, Turner A, Virgile A, Haff GG, Blazevich AJ, Agar-Newman D, Henneberry M, Baker DG, McGuigan M. Within session exercise sequencing during programming for complex training: historical perspectives, terminology, and training considerations. Sports Medicine. 2022 Oct;52(10):2371-89.
- Jeffreys IJ. Warm up revisited–the ‘ramp’method of optimising performance preparation. UKSCA Journal. 2006;6:15-9.
- Jeffreys I. RAMP warm-ups: More than simply short-term preparation. Prof Strength Cond. 2017;44:17-23.
- MacIntosh BR, Robillard ME, Tomaras EK. Should postactivation potentiation be the goal of your warm-up?. Applied physiology, nutrition, and metabolism. 2012 Jun;37(3):546-50.
- Freitas, T.T., Calleja-González, J., Carlos-Vivas, J., Marín-Cascales, E. and Alcaraz, P.E., 2019. Short-term optimal load training vs a modified complex training in semi-professional basketball players. Journal of sports sciences, 37(4), pp.434-442.
- Handford MJ, Bright TE, Mundy P, Hughes J. The utilisation of post-activation performance enhancement to enhance jump performance during training and sporting competition. Professional Strength & Conditioning Journal. 2022(63):19-26.
- Esformes JI, Moody J. Postactivation Potentiation and Its Role in Performance Enhancement. InStrength and Conditioning for Sports Performance 2021 Mar 29 (pp. 535-543). Routledge.
- Cormie P, McGuigan MR, Newton RU. Developing maximal neuromuscular power: part 2—training considerations for improving maximal power production. Sports medicine. 2011 Feb;41:125-46.
- Kraemer WJ, Ratamess NA. Fundamentals of resistance training: progression and exercise prescription. Medicine & science in sports & exercise. 2004 Apr 1;36(4):674-88.
Pp Collagen: Do supplements work?
- Liu D, Nikoo M, Boran G, Zhou P, Regenstein JM (2019), Collagen and gelatin, Annu Rev Food Sci Technol. 6: 527-557, in Choi FD, Sung CT, Juhasz ML, Mesinkovsk NA. Oral collagen supplementation: a systematic review of dermatological applications. J Drugs Dermatol.;18(1):9-16.
- León-López A, Morales-Peñaloza A, Martínez-Juárez VM, Vargas-Torres A, Zeugolis DI, Aguirre-Álvarez G. Hydrolyzed collagen-sources and applications. Molecules. 2019;24(22):4031.
- Bolke L, Schlippe G, Gerß J, Voss W. A Collagen supplement improves skin hydration, elasticity, roughness, and density: results of a randomized, placebo-controlled, blind study. Nutrients. 2019;11(10):2494.
- Laing S, Bielfeldt S, Ehrenberg C, Wilhelm KP. A dermonutrient containing special collagen peptides improves skin structure and function: a randomized, placebo-controlled, triple-blind trial using confocal laser scanning microscopy on the cosmetic effects and tolerance of a drinkable collagen supplement. J Med Food. 2020;23(2):147-152.
- Lugo JP, Saiyed ZM, Lane NE. Efficacy and tolerability of an undenatured type II collagen supplement in modulating knee osteoarthritis symptoms: a multicenter randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Nutr J. 2016;15:14.
- García-Coronado JM, Martínez-Olvera L, Elizondo-Omaña RE, et al. Effect of collagen supplementation on osteoarthritis symptoms: a meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trials. Int Orthop. 2019;43(3):531-538.
- Dressler P, Gehring D, Zdzieblik D, Oesser S, Gollhofer A, König D. Improvement of functional ankle properties following supplementation with specific collagen peptides in athletes with chronic ankle instability. J Sports Sci Med. 2018;17(2):298-304.