Skip to main content
Jul – Aug 2023
Pg 6-7 Depression, anxiety and ageing
- COVID-19 Mental health Collaborators. Global prevalence and burden of depressive and anxiety disorders in 204 countries and territories in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Lancet 2021 Vol 398
- Zenebe Y et al Prevalence and determinants of depression among old age: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Annals of General Psychiatry, 2021 20:55
- Sousa S et al Predictors of major depressive disorder in older adults. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public health 2021, 18,11894
- Lorenzo E et al Major depression and the biological hallmarks of aging. Ageing Research Reviews 83 (2023) 10180
- Blazer D, Hybels C Origins of depression in later life. Psychological Medicine 2005 35, 1-12
- Straka K et al Aging as a context for the role of inflammation in depressive symptoms. Frontiers in Psychiatry 2012 Vol 11 605347
Pg 8-11 Youth athletic development: An evidenced-based approach
- England S. Active Lives Children and Young People Survey, 2018-2019.
- Harrison CB, Gill ND, Kinugasa T, Kilding AE. Development of aerobic fitness in young team sport athletes. Sports Medicine. 2015 Jul;45:969-83.
- Gottfredson DC, Gottfredson GD, Weisman SA. The timing of delinquent behavior and its implications for after‐school programs. Criminology & Public Policy. 2001 Nov;1(1):61-86.
- Jewett R, Sabiston CM, Brunet J, O’Loughlin EK, Scarapicchia T, O’Loughlin J. School sport participation during adolescence and mental health in early adulthood. Journal of adolescent health. 2014 Nov 1;55(5):640-4.
- Levy S, Weiss R, Sherritt L, Ziemnik R, Spalding A, Van Hook S, Shrier LA. An electronic screen for triaging adolescent substance use by risk levels. JAMA pediatrics. 2014 Sep 1;168(9):822-8.
- Johnston J, Harwood C, Minniti AM. Positive youth development in swimming: Clarification and consensus of key psychosocial assets. Journal of applied sport psychology. 2013 Oct 1;25(4):392-411.
- Kisser R, Bauer R. The burden of sports injuries in the European Union. Austrian Road Safety Board. 2012 Feb 1:1-94.
- Gómez-Carmona CD, Gamonales JM, Pino-Ortega J, Ibáñez SJ. Comparative analysis of load profile between small-sided games and official matches in youth soccer players. Sports. 2018 Dec 12;6(4):173.
- Whitehead S, Till K, Weaving D, Hunwicks R, Pacey R, Jones B. Whole, half and peak running demands during club and international youth rugby league match-play. Science and Medicine in Football. 2019 Jan 2;3(1):63-9.
- Read D, Weaving D, Phibbs P, Darrall-Jones J, Roe G, Weakley J, Hendricks S, Till K, Jones B. Movement and physical demands of school and university rugby union match-play in England. BMJ open sport & exercise medicine. 2017 Mar 1;2(1):e000147.
- Elferink-Gemser MT, Visscher C, Lemmink KA, Mulder T. Multidimensional performance characteristics and standard of performance in talented youth field hockey players: A longitudinal study. Journal of sports sciences. 2007 Feb 15;25(4):481-9.
- McKenzie CR, Whatman C, Brughelli M. Performance profiling of female youth netball players. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2020 Nov 1;34(11):3275-83.
- Kelly AL, Williams CA. Physical characteristics and the talent identification and development processes in male youth soccer: A narrative review. Strength & Conditioning Journal. 2020 Dec 1;42(6):15-34.
- McCormack S, Jones B, Scantlebury S, Collins N, Owen C, Till K. Using principal component analysis to compare the physical qualities between academy and international youth rugby league players. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. 2021 Jun 30;16(12):1880-7.
- Ulbricht A, Fernandez-Fernandez J, Mendez-Villanueva A, Ferrauti A. Impact of fitness characteristics on tennis performance in elite junior tennis players. The journal of strength & conditioning research. 2016 Apr 1;30(4):989-98.
- Reynolds ML, Ransdell LB, Lucas SM, Petlichkoff LM, Gao Y. An examination of current practices and gender differences in strength and conditioning in a sample of varsity high school athletic programs. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2012 Jan 1;26(1):174-83.
- Lloyd RS, Cronin JB, Faigenbaum AD, Haff GG, Howard R, Kraemer WJ, Micheli LJ, Myer GD, Oliver JL. National Strength and Conditioning Association position statement on long-term athletic development. Journal of strength and conditioning research. 2016 Jun 1;30(6):1491-509.
- Till K, Bruce A, Green T, Morris SJ, Boret S, Bishop CJ. Strength and conditioning in schools: a strategy to optimise health, fitness and physical activity in youths. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2022 May 1;56(9):479-80.
- Legerlotz K, Marzilger R, Bohm S, Arampatzis A. Physiological adaptations following resistance training in youth athletes—a narrative review. Pediatric exercise science. 2016 Nov 1;28(4):501-20.
- Going SB, Laudermilk M. Osteoporosis and strength training. American journal of lifestyle medicine. 2009 Jul;3(4):310-9.
- Faigenbaum AD, Kraemer WJ, Blimkie CJ, Jeffreys I, Micheli LJ, Nitka M, Rowland TW. Youth resistance training: updated position statement paper from the national strength and conditioning association. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2009 Aug 1;23:S60-79.
- Côté J, Fraser-Thomas J. Play, practice, and athlete development. InDeveloping sport expertise 2007 Nov 29 (pp. 39-50). Routledge.
- Güllich A, Macnamara BN, Hambrick DZ. What makes a champion? Early multidisciplinary practice, not early specialization, predicts world-class performance. Perspectives on Psychological Science. 2022 Jan;17(1):6-29.
- Balyi I, Way R. The role of monitoring growth in long-term athlete development. Canadian sport for life. 2005;2(1):47-64.
- Iuliano‐Burns S, Mirwald RL, Bailey DA. Timing and magnitude of peak height velocity and peak tissue velocities for early, average, and late maturing boys and girls. American Journal of Human Biology: The Official Journal of the Human Biology Association. 2001 Jan;13(1):1-8.
- Lloyd RS, Oliver JL, Faigenbaum AD, Howard R, Croix MB, Williams CA, Best TM, Alvar BA, Micheli LJ, Thomas DP, Hatfield DL. Long-term athletic development-part 1: a pathway for all youth. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2015 May 1;29(5):1439-50.
- Lloyd, R.S. Oliver, J.L. Faigenbaum, A.D. Howard, R. Croix, M.B.D.S. Williams, C.A. Best, T.M. Alvar, B.A. Micheli, L.J. Thomas, D.P. Hatfield, D.L. (2015) . Long-term athletic development, part 2: barriers to success and potential solutions. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 29(5), pp.1451-1464.
- Lloyd RS, Faigenbaum AD, Myer GD, Stone M, Oliver J, Jeffreys I, Pierce K. UKSCA position statement: Youth resistance training. Prof Strength Cond. 2012;26:26-39.
- Balyi I, Hamilton A. Long-term athlete development: Trainability in childhood and adolescence. Olympic coach. 2004;16(1):4-9.
- Lloyd RS, Oliver JL. The youth physical development model: A new approach to long-term athletic development. Strength & Conditioning Journal. 2012 Jun 1;34(3):61-72.
- Mossman GJ, Cronin LD. Life skills development and enjoyment in youth soccer: The importance of parental behaviours. Journal of sports sciences. 2019 Apr 18;37(8):850-6.
Pg 12-15 Emotional eating: How to manage self-sabotage after weight loss
- Wehling H, Lusher JM. Cognitive and emotional influences on eating behaviour: a qualitative perspective. Nutrition and Metabolic Insights. 2019 Jul;12:1178638819855936
- Aboaba B. The Food Addiction Coach: 10 Things Your Clients Do. 2020.
- Goodman A. Addiction: definition and implications. British journal of addiction. 1990 Nov;85(11):1403-8.
- Montemarano V, Cassin SE. The effect of a food addiction explanatory model of eating behaviours on weight-based stigma: An experimental investigation. Eating Behaviors. 2021 Apr 1;41:101507.
- Meule A. The psychology of food cravings: the role of food deprivation. Current nutrition reports. 2020 Sep;9:251-7.
- Volkow ND, Wise RA, Baler R. The dopamine motive system: implications for drug and food addiction. Nature Reviews Neuroscience. 2017 Dec;18(12):741-52.
- Wu Z, Schimmele CM. Food insufficiency and depression. Sociological Perspectives. 2005 Dec;48(4):481-504.
- Moore DD, Lin C, Cooper CE. A Need of Further Training for Marriage and Family Therapy Students on Food Addiction and Related Eating Disorders. The Qualitative Report. 2021 Oct 1;26(10):3046-66.
- Zimmerman AA. The Link Between Dissociation, Eating Disorders, and Self-Harm. 2014.
- Self-worth noun – definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage notes: Oxford Advanced American Dictionary at Oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com
Pg 22-25 Longevity through nutrition
- Gilbert S. 2000. Developmental Biology. 6th edition. Sunderland (MA) Sinauer Associates.
- Shammas M. 2011. Telomeres, lifestyle, cancer and aging. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2011 Jan; 14(1): 28–34
- Nettleton J. 2008. Dietary patterns, good groups and telomere length in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). American Society for Clinical Nutrition
- Kim E Et al. 2020. Sense of purpose in life and five health behaviours in older adults. Preventative Medicine.106172.
- Guimond A et al. 2022. Sense of purpose in life and inflammation in healthy older adults: A longitudinal study. Psychoneuroendochronology. 1, 141:105
- Ahola K et al. 2012. Work-Related Exhaustion and Telomere Length: A Population-Based Study. PLoS ONE 7(7)
- Vina J. 2016. Exercise: the lifelong supplement for healthy ageing and slowing down the onset of frailty. J Physiology. Apr 15:594
- Pes et al 2022. Diet and longevity in the blue Zones. A set and forget issue. Maturitas. 164:31-37
- Sadowska- Bartosz. 2014. Effect of Antioxidant Supplementation on Aging and Longevity. BioMed Research International. Volume 2014.
- Bjorn T et al. 2020. Obesity and ageing. Two sides of the same coin. Obesity Reviews. 21(4): e 12991
- Ravussin E et al. 2015. A 2-Year Randomized Controlled Trial of Human Caloric Restriction: Feasibility and Effects on Predictors of Health Span and Longevity. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 70(9):1097-104
- Sohn, I. et al. 2023. Associations of green tea, coffee, and soft drink consumption with longitudinal changes in leukocyte telomere length. Scientific Reports. 10;13(1):492pproaches. Aging Research Reviews
- Richards J. 2008. Higher serum vitamin D concentrations are associated with longer leukocyte telomere length in women. Am J Clin Nutr. 8685):1420 Vol 67.101268.
Pg 24-27 Does your client have frozen shoulder?
- Lewis, J. (2015) ‘Frozen shoulder contracture syndrome – aetiology, diagnosis and management’, Manual Therapy, 20(1), pp. 2–9. doi:10.1016/j.math.2014.07.006.
- King, W.V. and Hebron, C. (2022) ‘Frozen Shoulder: Living with uncertainty and being in “No-man’s land”’, Physiotherapy Theory and Practice, pp. 1–15. doi:10.1080/09593985.2022.2032512.
- Wong, C.K. et al. (2017) ‘Natural history of frozen shoulder: Fact or fiction? A systematic review’, Physiotherapy, 103(1), pp. 40–47. doi:10.1016/j.physio.2016.05.009.
- Hollmann, L. et al. (2018) ‘Does muscle guarding play a role in range of motion loss in patients with frozen shoulder?’, Musculoskeletal Science and Practice, 37, pp. 64–68. doi:10.1016/j.msksp.2018.07.001.
- Ingraham, P. (2016) Complete Guide to Frozen Shoulder, PainScience.com. PainScience.com. Available at: https://www.painscience.com/tutorials/frozen-shoulder.php#updates (Accessed: 15 May 2023).
- Reeves, B. (1975) ‘The natural history of the frozen shoulder syndrome’, Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, 4(4), pp. 193–196. doi:10.3109/03009747509165255.
- (2020) Episode 9: Frozen shoulder with Jeremy Lewis. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBZKDaT7xgc&ab_channel=JaredPowell.
- Leung, M. and Cheing, G. (2008) ‘Effects of deep and superficial heating in the management of Frozen Shoulder’, Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 40(2), pp. 145–150. doi:10.2340/16501977-0146.
- Vermeulen, H.M. et al. (2006a) ‘Comparison of high-grade and low-grade mobilization techniques in the management of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: Randomized controlled trial’, Physical Therapy, 86(3), pp. 355–368. doi:10.1093/ptj/86.3.355.
- Grant, J.A. et al. (2013a) ‘Comparison of manipulation and arthroscopic capsular release for adhesive capsulitis: A systematic review’, Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 22(8), pp. 1135–1145. doi:10.1016/j.jse.2013.01.010.
- Meakins, A. (2022) Frozen Shoulder? let it go, let it go…., Physio Network. Available at: https://www.physio-network.com/blog/frozen-shoulder-let-it-go-let-it-go/ (Accessed: 01 June 2023).
Pg 32-35 Practical application: Hang power clean to sprinting
- Yessis, M. (1982). The role of all round, general physical preparation in the multiyear and yearly training programs. National Strength Coaches Association Journal, 4, 48-50.
- 2. Goodwin, J. E., & Cleather, D. J. (2016). The biomechanical principles underpinning strength and conditioning. In I. Jeffreys & J. Moody (Eds.), Strength and conditioning for sports performance (pp. 36-66). New York: Routledge.
- 3. Brown, T. D., & Vescovi, J. D. (2012). Maximum speed: Misconceptions of sprinting. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 34, 37-41.
- 4. Weyand, P.G., Sternlight, D. B., Bellizzi, M. J., & Wright, S. (2000). Faster top running speeds are achieved with greater ground forces not more rapid leg movements. Journal of Applied Physiology, 89, 1991-1999.
- 5. Suchomel, T. J., Comfort, P., & Stone, M. H. (2015). Weightlifting pulling derivatives: Rationale for implementation and application. Sports Medicine, 45, 823-839.
- 6. Verkhoshansky, Y., & Siff, M. (2009). Supertraining (6th ed.). Rome: Verkhoshansky SSTM.
- 7. Ross, A., Leveritt, M., & Riek, S. (2001). Neural influences on sprint running: Training adaptations and acute responses. Sports Medicine, 31, 409-425.
- 8. Bezodis, I. N., Kerwin, D. G., & Salo, A. I. T. (2008). Lower-limb mechanics during the support phase of maximum-velocity sprint running. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 40, 707-15.
- 9. Sides, D. L. (2014). Kinematics and kinetics of maximal velocity sprinting and specificity of training in elite athletes (Unpublished doctoral thesis). University of Salford, Salford, England.
- 10. Mero, A., & Komi, P. V. (1987). Electromyographic activity in sprinting at speeds ranging from sub-maximal to supra-maximal. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 19, 266-274.
- 11. Dietz, V., Schmidtbleicher, D., & Noth, J. (1979). Neuronal mechanisms of human locomotion. Journal of Neurophysiology, 42, 1212-1222.
- 12. Haug, W. B., Drinkwater, E. J., & Chapman, D. W. (2015). Learning the hang power clean: Kinetic, kinematic, and technical changes in four weightlifting naive athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 29, 1766-1779.
- 13. Duba, J., Kraemer, W. J., & Martin, G. (2007). A 6-step progression model for teaching the hang power clean. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 29, 26-35.
- 14. MacKenzie, S. J., Lavers, R. J., & Wallace, B. B. (2014). A biomechanical comparison of the vertical jump, power clean, and jump squat. Journal of Sport Sciences, 32, 1576-1585.
- 15. Morin, J. B., Bourdin, M., Edouard, P., Peyrot, N., Samozino, P., & Lacour, J. R. (2012). Mechanical determinants of 100-m sprint running performance. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 112, 3921-3930.
- 16. Zatsiorsky, V. M., & Kraemer, W. J. (2006). Science and practice of strength training. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- 17. Comfort, P., Allen, M., & Graham-Smith, P. (2011). Kinetic comparisons during variations of the power clean. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 25, 3269-3273.
- 18. Irwin, G., Kerwin, D., Rosenblatt, B., & Wiltshire, H. (2007). Evaluation of the power clean as a sprint specific exercise. Paper presented at the ISBS-Conference Proceedings Archive.
- 19. Wild, J., Bezodis, N. E., Blagrove, R., & Bezodis, I. (2011) A biomechanical comparison of accelerative and maximum velocity sprinting: strength training considerations for the strength and conditioning coach. Professional Strength and Conditioning, 21, 23-37.
- 20. Stone, M. H., Pierce, K. C., Sands, W. A., & Stone, M. E. (2006). Weightlifting: A brief overview. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 28, 50-66.
- 21. Hunter, J. P., Marshall, R. N., & McNair, P. J. (2004). Segment-interaction analysis of the stance limb in running. Journal of Biomechanics, 37, 1439-1446.
- 22. Van Hooren, B., & Bosch, F. (2016). Is there really an eccentric action of the hamstrings during the swing phase of high-speed running? Part 1: A critical review of the literature. Journal of Sport Sciences, 1-9.