Skip to main content
May – Jun 2021
Pg 6-8 10 rules of engagement to change behaviour in the sedentary population
- Heath D, Health C (2010), Switch, When Change is Needed. Random House: London.
- Heath D, Health C (2008), Made to Stick, Random House: London.
- Segar M (2015), No Sweat, AMACOM: New York.
Pg 10-12 Decoding member motivation
- Sheldon R, Deci El, Kasser T (2004), The independence effects of goal contents and motives on well-being, Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.
- Charvet SR (1995), Words that Change Minds.
Pg 13-15 All about fat
- British Dietetic Association. Food Facts. Fat. https://www.bda.uk.com/food-health/food-facts/all-food-fact-sheets.html?topic=031B0B7E-184C-42D5-8FDAB5B27B5D23A6&sortBy=date, accessed on 18 March 2021.
- Kontogianni MD, Vidra N, Farmaki AE et al (2008), Adherence rates to the Mediterranean diet are low in a representative sample of Greek children and adolescents, J Nutr., 138(10): 1,951-6.
- Kastorini CM, Milionis HJ, Esposito K et al (2011), The effect of mediterranean diet on metabolic syndrome and its components: A meta-analysis of 50 studies and 534,906 individuals, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 57: 1,299-1,313.
- Innes J (2018), Omega-6 fatty acids and inflammation, Prostaglandin Leukot Essent Fatty Acids, 132: 41-48.
- Calder et al (2017), Omega-3 fatty acids and inflammatory processes: from molecules to man, Biochem Soc Trans., 15, 45(5): 1,105-15.
- Calder et al (2015), Marine omega-3 fatty acids and inflammatory processes: Effects, mechanisms and clinical relevance, Biochem Biophys Acta., 1851(4): 469-84.
- Gao H et al (2017), Fish oil supplementation and insulin sensitivity: A systematic review and meta-analysis, Lipids Health Dis., 3:16(1): 132.
- Keys A (1980), Seven countries: a multivariate analysis of death and coronary heart disease, London: Harvard University Press.
- Thomas B & Bishop J (eds) and The British Dietetic Association (2007), Manual of Dietetic Practice, Fourth Edition, Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
- Felton CV, Crook D, Davies MJ, Oliver MF (1994), Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids and composition of human aortic plaques, Lancet, 344: 1,195-6.
- De Souza RJ et al (2015), Intake of saturated and trans fats unsaturated fatty acids and risk of all-cause mortality, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies, BMJ: 351: h3978.
- Smoking points of oils on Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Smoke_point_of_cooking_oils, , accessed on 18 March 2021.
- Refining of Oils, http://www.fao.org/docrep/v4700e/V4700E0a.htm, accessed on 18 March 2021.
Pg 22-25 Understanding knee pain: Causes and cures
- Kim J, Kim HA, Seo YI, Yeong YO, Song W, Jeong JY and Kim DH (2011), Prevalence of knee pain and its influence on quality of life and physical function in the Korean elderly population: A community based cross-sectional study, Journal of Korean Medical Science, 26(9): 1,140-46.
- Weinstein AM, Rome BN, Reichmann WM, Collins JE, Burbine SA, Thornhill TS, Wright J, Katz JN and Losina E (2013), Estimating the burden of total knee replacement in the United States,Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (American edition), 95(5): 385-92.
- Kendall FP et al (2005), Muscles Testing and Function with Posture and Pain (5th ed.). Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Price J and Bratcher M (2019), The BioMechanics Method Corrective Exercise Educational Program (2nd Edition), The BioMechanics Press.
- Price J (2018), The BioMechanics Method for Corrective Exercise, Champaign, Illinois: Human Kinetics.
- American Council on Exercise (2010), ACE Personal Trainer Manual (Fourth Edition), American Council on Exercise.
- Rolf IP (1989), Rolfing: Reestablishing the Natural Alignment and Structural Integration of the Human Body for Vitality and Well-Being (revised edition), Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press.
Pg 26-29 Movement screens and the S&C trainer
- 1a. Cook G, Burton L, Hoogenboom BJ, Voight M (2014), Functional movement screening: the use of fundamental movements as an assessment of function-part 2, International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 9(4).
- 1b. Cook G, Burton L, Hoogenboom BJ, Voight M (2014), Functional movement screening: the use of fundamental movements as an assessment of function-part 1, International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 9(3).
- McKeown I, Taylorâ€�McKeown K, Woods C, Ball N (2014), Athletic ability assessment: a movement assessment protocol for athletes, International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 9(7): 862.
- Beardsley C, Contreras B (2014), The functional movement screen: A review, Strength & Conditioning Journal, 36(5): 72-80.
- Bond CW, Dorman JC, Odney TO, Roggenbuck SJ, Young SW, Munce TA (2019), Evaluation of the functional movement screen and a novel basketball mobility test as an injury prediction tool for collegiate basketball players, The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 33(6): 1,589-600.
- Duke SR, Martin SE, Gaul CA (2017), Preseason functional movement screen predicts risk of time-loss injury in experienced male rugby union athletes, The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 31(10): 2,740-7.
- Ransdell LB, Murray T (2016), Functional movement screening: An important tool for female athletes, Strength & Conditioning Journal, 38(2): 40-8.
- Chorba RS, Chorba DJ, Bouillon LE, Overmyer CA, Landis JA (2010), Use of a functional movement screening tool to determine injury risk in female collegiate athletes, North American Journal of Sports Physical Therapy: NAJSPT, 5(2): 47.
- Read PJ, Oliver JL, Croix MB, Myer GD, Lloyd RS (2016), Neuromuscular risk factors for knee and ankle ligament injuries in male youth soccer players, Sports Medicine, 46(8): 1,059-66.
- Bahr R (2016), Why screening tests to predict injury do not work—and probably never will …: a critical review, British Journal of Sports Medicine, 50(13): 776-80.
- Okada T, Huxel KC, Nesser TW (2011), Relationship between core stability, functional movement, and performance, The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 25(1): 252-61.
- Pollard CD, Sigward SM, Ota S, Langford K, Powers CM (2006), The influence of in-season injury prevention training on lower-extremity kinematics during landing in female soccer players, Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine, 16(3): 223-7.
- Sasaki S, Nagano Y, Kaneko S, Imamura S, Koabayshi T, Fukubayashi T (2015), The relationships between the center of mass position and the trunk, hip, and knee kinematics in the sagittal plane: a pilot study on field-based video analysis for female soccer player, Journal of Human Kinetics, 45(1): 71-80.
- Nilstad A, Andersen TE, Kristianslund E, Bahr R, Myklebust G, Steffen K, Krosshaug T (2014), Physiotherapists can identify female football players with high knee valgus angles during vertical drop jumps using real-time observational screening, Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy, 44(5): 358-65.
- Ekegren CL, Miller WC, Celebrini RG, Eng JJ, Macintyre DL (2009), Reliability and validity of observational risk screening in evaluating dynamic knee valgus, Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy, 39(9): 665-74.
- Bishop CJ, Tarrant J, Jarvis PT, Turner AN (2017), Using the split squat to potentiate bilateral and unilateral jump performance, The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 31(8): 2,216-22.
- 16.Williams M, Squillante A, Dawes J (2017), The Single Leg Triple Hop for Distance Test, Strength & Conditioning Journal, 39(3): 94-8.
- Racine K, Warren M, Smith C, Lininger MR (2021), Reliability of the Tuck Jump Assessment Using Standardized Rater Training, International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 16(1): 162.