Skip to main content

Here, we dive into the world of personal trainer insurance and answer your burning questions. Hey, it might not be terribly exciting but, without insurance, you could end up in a whole heap of trouble. It’s worth five minutes of your time to get clued up, so take a deep breath and let’s go …

Do you need insurance to be a personal trainer?


Yes, insurance is important to minimise financial risk, should you be the subject of a claim – for example, if a client suffers an injury and claims against you for compensation. Having the right insurance means that the financial liability of meeting these costs should be met. So, now we’ve established that you need insurance to do your dream job, let’s get into the nitty gritty of personal trainer insurance.


What should I look for in personal trainer insurance?


It’s vital to read the small print to ensure the cover provided is right for you. Details to consider include:

  • Liability – What is the financial amount for which you are covered in the event of a claim?
  • Exclusions – Does the insurance cover your areas of instructions or are there any policy exclusions?
  • Excess – Will you have to make a contribution towards a claim?

You should hold a minimum Level 2 Gym Instructor certificate or Level 3 Personal Training qualification for insurance purposes. If you’re teaching multiple disciplines, you’ll need supporting certificates in each area of instruction.

As a qualified fitness professional, if you teach an activity outside of your area of training and someone is injured, you may not be covered because you are instructing participants in an area you may not be qualified to teach, so if in doubt check with your insurer to confirm that you are appropriately qualified for the specific area(s) of instruction.

If you are a self-employed personal trainer, the responsibility for insurance lies with you.

Insurance is also available to students if working towards gaining an instructor qualification. You would not want to be subject to an expensive insurance claim before your career has even started.


The personal training insurance every PT needs


Personal trainers are often called upon to undertake a variety of duties, so the Instructor Public & Teacher Liability insurance includes a broad range of personal training activities on the basis of holding supporting certificates in the area of instruction. These areas include (but are not limited to): Personal Training, Gym Instruction, Circuit Training, Functional Training, Strength & Conditioning, Indoor Cycling, Aquatic Fitness, Pre & Post Natal, Pad & Bag Work, Dance, Nutritional Advice, Online Training, Outdoor Training, Children’s Exercise, Fitness Testing and Bootcamp.

At FitPro, we offer different public liability insurance options to the tune of £10 million, £5 million and £2 million indemnity.

The insurance includes cover for personal training in health clubs, leisure facilities, gyms, studios, private homes, outdoors and also online. The minimum age is 14 years and there’s no upper age limit. The insurance is written on a worldwide cover for residents of the UK.

This really does give you peace of mind that, should something go wrong, we’ve got your back.

Additional activity cover, which runs in conjunction with the instructor Public & Teacher Liability £10 million insurance, is also available for other activities that fall outside of general personal training. For example, if you’re working with specialist population groups including individuals with long-term conditions who may require specialist care and attention, such as GP referral, cancer care rehabilitation, cardiac rehabilitation, etc., specialist populations additional activity cover is available on the basis of meeting the framework of skills and knowledge by holding a supporting qualification.

Check out the selection of additional activity insurance options.


personal trainer and client stretching outdoors

Personal accident insurance for personal trainers


The Instructor 24-hour Personal Accident insurance will also provide an income if you are unable to carry out your duties as a personal trainer due to disablement or injury as a result of an accident at work or outside of work.


Equipment insurance for personal trainers


Equipment cover is also important to protect against accidental loss or damage, including theft of your own equipment. Should something happen to that heart rate monitor or training equipment, you want to be able to replace it quickly and easily!

See more information on equipment cover.


Is online training included? 


Yes, online training is included in the FitPro Instructor Public & Teacher Liability insurance, to include:

  • live, interactive face-to-face training, such as Zoom
  • pre-programmed video content, such as YouTube
  • live streaming sessions through Facebook and Instagram.


What are the guidelines for online training?


For online training, you – the instructor – should: work within your area of knowledge and expertise; pre-screen participants before each session; apply the relevant health and safety guidelines; and include a disclaimer.

Each client should complete an online PAR-Q form (see PAR-Q forms: The ultimate guide for fitness professionals) and a copy should be held in line with GDPR. If any risk factors are identified on the PAR-Q form, your client should get approval from their GP prior to participation.

You should pre-screen clients before each session for any changes to health, medical conditions, injuries, illness or any other factors (such as pregnancy). Refer accordingly and, of course, adapt the workout based on health status and ability level of each participant.

You should provide health and safety guidelines for online training. For example, ensure that the environment is safe, that there are no obstacles, obstructions or hazards, and that any equipment is fit for purpose.

You should note that children/minors participating should be supervised by an adult at all times throughout the online fitness session. It is also important to provide adaptations to allow participants to work at their own level.

Clients should always be made aware of the risks of exercise and given the opportunity to decide for themselves if they wish to participate. You should always provide a disclaimer for online training purposes.

I don’t have personal trainer insurance yet. What should I do?


You can find out more about FitPro personal trainer insurance. Let us do the hard work for you, so you can get on with the job you love.




Leave a Reply