The FitPro team love a bit of friendly competition, especially when we get to create delicious and nutritious recipes we can share with you all. So, here goes – you get to choose which one you try first.
‘Crikey, It’s Green!’ from Jane
Ok, so it doesn’t look very appetizing once blended but this murky green smoothie is delicious, nutritious and will keep you going until the next meal. This will make 2 mid sized smoothies or for a hungry brekkie get go, this is the bees knees.
- 1 cup organic oat, almond or rice milk (you may need to add ¼ cup of cold water during blending if it thickens)
- 1 – 3 bananas (depending on how big they are and if they are frozen or fresh)
- 2 handfuls of fresh seasonal fruit (strawberries, pear, watermelon, grapes, raspberries; also work super well if frozen)
- 2 large handfuls of greens (baby spinach, bok choy)
- 2 – 3 ice cubes (only if you haven’t included frozen fruit)
- 3 fresh dates/figs and a few raisins (without seeds)
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons linseed powder (I use a flaxseed mix and chia)
- ¼ teaspoon of spice mixture powder comprising equal amounts of turmeric, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom (this really makes it)
Put all ingredients in a blender and blitz for a minute or 2 until it looks smooth. Before blitzing your blender will be full of colour, after blitzing it looks like it belongs in a Shrek movie but don’t be put off, it’s delish!
Tips: to add texture and to make it icy cool; wash and dry fresh strawberries/raspberries and bag for the freezer to be used in your shake. Over ripe bananas freeze really well and are perfect for smoothies. Peel them, slice and bag. If using frozen bananas use slightly less than the recipe as they will thicken on blitzing.
‘Super Easy Berry Blast’ from Teresa
If you’re anything like me, you want to be able to knock something together that is delicious yet nutritious in a flash. So, here’s a simple to follow recipe that tastes lush.
In order to set the day off well I tend to throw all the good stuff in to a NutriBullet. I always have a freezer full of frozen berries. In the fridge I have loads of different nut butters. In the cupboard some kind of vegan protein powder will exist alongside a variety of different nuts. Then I guess I need to remember to have some actual milk in the fridge and bananas in the fruit bowl too. Hehe.
So here’s the ingredients from today’s blend…..and the method I hear you ask ?! Well, there isn’t one … other than throw it all in and blend it well.
- 1 x banana
- 1 x scoop vanilla vegan protein powder (you could substitute with Greek yoghurt)
- 2 x handfuls of frozen blueberries and strawberries
- 1 x tsp almond butter
- 1 x handful of cashew nuts
- 300mls Lactofree milk or milk substitute.
You see? Super easy and delicious – what’s not to love?
Here’s the ‘PERFECT smoothie to start the day!’ From Darren
These are very grand words from Darren…..maybe he thinks he’s the winner?!
- 1 x banana
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 cup mango
- ¼ cup goji berries
Thanks to NUTRi bullet for the delicious recipe idea.
We’d love to hear from you what your go-to smoothie recipes are – tag us in your social media pics. In the meantime check out Dr Linia Patel’s blog on ‘Hunger and Appetite.’