Third Trimester: Training for Labour is targeted towards Fitness Professionals (encompassing Gym Instructors, Personal Trainers and Group Exercise Instructors) who want to enhance their clients training experience by assisting pregnant client with labour and birth preparation tools, as a part of their fitness program. This course will also provide the tools to be able to assist them in planning for their post natal recovery.
- Learn about strategies for preparing clients for labour and birth in the fitness setting
- Explore using tools to prepare your clients for labour during aerobic training
- Understand the basic concepts of the three stages of labour
- Strength training strategies that can be used in the third trimester to prepare for labour
- Explore different ways to teach your clients to use stretches to enhance their preparation for labour and birth positions
- Understand ways to prepare the pelvic floor for birth and postnatal recovery
- Explore using training intensity changes for labour training
- Learn about modifying resistance exercises to protect the pelvic floor during pregnancy
- Teaching client’s relaxation and breathing awareness strategies to use in labour
- Explore how you can teach your clients to apply relaxation principles learned during pregnancy to use in the postnatal period to assist the adjustment from pregnancy to motherhood
- Learn how to prepare and equip your clients for postnatal recovery
- Understand available client instruction and information resources for fitness professionals
- Understand some of the postnatal issues that clients may experience that require referral for postnatal physiotherapy or medical follow
- Understand when to refer a client to a Women’s, Men’s and Pelvic Health Physiotherapist, Medical Practitioner or musculoskeletal Physiotherapist for conditions requiring attention that are outside the scope of a registered fitness professional
Dianne Edmonds is a physiotherapist with more than 25 years of experience with pregnancy, postnatal and pelvic floor education, treatment and fitness programmes. Dianne was the lead physiotherapist and project officer for the Pelvic Floor First project campaign, run by the Continence Foundation of Australia, and is a Pelvic Floor First ambassador. Dianne is the director and founder of The Pregnancy Centre and completed her Elite Personal Training course in 2013.