This course provides you with an introduction to the gut microbiome and takes you on a journey of understanding its role in health and wellbeing. You will learn what factors affect the microbiome and how it is linked to a host of different disease states. You will gain in-depth information about what dietary practices and interventions positively affect the microbiome and which cause dysbiosis. You will understand the differences between pro and prebiotics and their roles.
Aims and objectives of course:
- Understand what the microbiome is and its role in health
- Gain an understanding of the factors that affect the gut microbiome with particular focus on lifestyle factors
- Be able to discuss the evidence base on which foods promote a positive gut microbiota and which foods cause dysbiosis
- Have a clear understanding of what pre and probiotics are and their role in gut health
- Gain a general understanding of how to eat and live to nurture a good microbiome.
Dr Linia Patel has a BSc degree in biochemistry and physiology and has recently achieved a PhD in public health. Linia is a leading dietitian and sports nutritionist. Her passion is translating nutritional science into easy-to-digest and practical advice.