This policy is designed for students working towards gaining an accepted certificate or qualification.
This is a six month policy – however, if you qualify within the first six months the insurance will be upgraded to 12 months cover at no extra cost upon receipt of your instructor certificate/ qualification.
- £10 million indemnity limit
- No excess
- Lower age limit 16 years
- No upper age limit
- Up to 12 months worldwide cover
The following activities are included where the instructor is working towards gaining an accepted certificate/ qualification in the specific area of instruction:
- Personal Training
- Exercise to Music
- Gym instruction
- Indoor Cycling
- Circuit Training
- Stability Ball
- Resistance Training
- Pilates (Note: Aerial Pilates is available separately for a fee)
- Standard Yoga (Note: Hot Yoga and Aerial Yoga is available separately for a fee)
- Freestyle Fitness Yoga
- Pre & Post Natal classes
- Dance, Street Dance and Latin Dance
- Pound Fitness
- Pad & Bag Work (excluding sparring and contact work)
- Hatton Boxing
- Children's exercise classes (aged 3.5 to 14 years) where an accepted children's health related fitness qualification is held
- Cover for working on Cruise Ships
- New customers, who've not previously held FitPro membership, can purchase insurance without FitPro membership for the first year only. Insurance renewals in subsequent years must be accompanied by an active FitPro membership.
- You must be registered on an accepted training course at the inception of the policy term and working towards gaining an accepted certificate/qualification.
- You must work within the guidelines of the instructor training syllabus which must also include anatomy and physiology.
- In the event of a claim you may be required to present a copy of an accepted certificate/ qualification or evidence of your instructor training.
- Students must send a copy of their certificate/ qualification to FitPro within the first six month of the policy term in order to upgrade to full insurance and receive a total of 12 months cover.
- The standard indemnity limit is £10 million for both Public Liability and Professional Indemnity. Cover excludes advice provided separately for a fee.
- It provides cover for the instructor working within his/her accepted qualifications.
- Includes advice the instructor gives on exercise and nutrition, except where provided separately for a fee.
- Written on a worldwide basis for members resident in the UK and Ireland.
- There is no limit to the number of participants within a class, providing health and safety requirements are observed.
- “*Indemnity to Principal” is automatically included to protect the interest of the employer/contractor/hired or rented premises.
- The policy is on a “*Claims Occurrence” basis.
- No excess is payable by the instructor in the event of a claim.
- Legal expenses included.
- Deals with allegations made against you for injury, damage, libel and slander.
- “*Member to Member” claims included.
- As the policy is on a “Claims Occurrence” basis, as long as the contract was in force at the time of the incident, any claim will be dealt with by the insurers even if the policy is no longer in force.
- All claims occurring within the period of insurance are dealt with by the insurer.
- The instructor is required to provide information on the incident resulting in a claim being made.
- The qualification certificate is required for the activity taking place when an incident occurred.
- Increased indemnity of up to £20m is available if required.
- Policy extendable for some activities not directly fitness related (contact FitPro for further information).
- *No win, no fee: system used by solicitors where charge is only made if case is won.
- *Indemnity to Principal: claim made against a principal (i.e., owner of hired premises, employer, contractor) which is the liability of the instructor will be dealt with under the instructor's insurance.
- *Claims Occurrence: as long as the policy is in force at the time of the incident that results in a claim, the claim will be dealt with by the insurer even though the policy is no longer in force.
- *Member to Member: incidents between class members that result in claim being made.
Acceptable certificates / qualifications
- Evidence of undergoing an accepted instructor training qualification or sports science degree.
- Evidence of undergoing Pilates or Yoga instructor training (only acceptable for those teaching Pilates or Yoga in isolation).
What's not included?
- Instructors who do not hold active FitPro membership at the time of inception or renewal of the policy term.
- Contact sports/classes e.g. boxing, wrestling etc.
- Kick boxing style classes where there is no contact may be acceptable - contact FitPro for more information.
- Any activities involving power lifting or Olympic weight lifting.
- Bootcamp/army training classes if they involve the lifting/carrying/turning over of tractor tyres or assault course type activities.
- Cover excludes advice given separately for a fee.
- Students not complying with the eligibility criteria.
The business description for the Instructor Public & Teacher Liability insurance is Fitness Instructor. This is defined as an individual engaged in planned and structured exercise instruction of others. Exercise is considered as physical activity for the purpose of conditioning the body to maintain and improve health and fitness, enhance well-being and as a means of physical rehabilitation.
- Children's Exercise is defined as games, routines, warm-ups, cool downs, circuits, relays, dance and yoga.
- Children's exercise is included as long as an accepted children's health related certificate or qualification is held and legal requirements are adhered to.
- Some children's exercise activities may not be included as standard but may be quoted separately – see Additional Activities list or contact FitPro for more information.
- Children's exercise is applicable for children of 3.5 to 14 years of age.
- A qualified First Aider must be available during any supervised fitness activity.
- Participants must complete a PAR-Q form prior to participation in any fitness activity. Where applicable the participant/s should consult with their doctor before participating in the activity.
- In the event of a claim the instructor may be required to present evidence of the PAR-Q form completed by the participant.
FITPRO REGULATORY STATUS
We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. We are registered as Fitness Professionals Ltd, Kalbarri House, 107-113 London Road, London E13 0DA and our firm's reference number is 310684.
You may check this information and obtain further information about how the Financial Conduct Authority protects you by visiting its website at fca.org.uk or calling 0800 111 6768.
The FitPro Insurance Scheme has been designed with you in mind to provide the necessary legal protection and, above all, peace of mind.
Contact FitPro for further information: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)20 8586 0101.
Our Promise of Service
Our goal is to give excellent service to all our customers but we recognise that things do go wrong occasionally. We take all complaints we receive seriously and aim to resolve all our customers' problems promptly. To ensure that we provide the kind of service you expect we welcome your feedback. We will record and analyse your comments to make sure we continually improve the service we offer.
What will happen if you complain:
- We will acknowledge your complaint promptly.
- We aim to resolve all complaints as quickly as possible.
Most of our customers' concerns can be resolved quickly but occasionally more detailed enquiries are needed. If this is likely, we will contact you with an update within 10 working days of receipt and give you an expected date of response.
What To Do If You Are Unhappy
If you are unhappy with any aspect of the handling of your insurance we would encourage you, in the first instance, to seek resolution by contacting Fitness Professionals Ltd.
If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint you may refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service at:
The Financial Ombudsman Service: Exchange Tower, London E14 9SR
Telephone: 0800 023 4567 (calls from UK landlines and mobiles are free) or 0300 123 9123
Or simply log on to their website at financial-ombudsman.org.uk.
Whilst we are bound by the decision of the Financial Ombudsman Service, you are not. Following the complaints procedure does not affect your right to take legal action.
Note: This is an outline of cover only. A copy policy is available on request.